How to Program Garage Door – Opener and Remote
Having problems with your garage door, but don’t know how to program garage door? Although garage door technology can certainly be a head scratcher, it’s not so difficult once you know how to program a garage door remote clicker, and how to program a garage door keypad. You don’t need an expert technician to fix this issue: you just need to know the brand of your door, and this article will explain to you why.
How to Program Garage Door
Just below, you’ll find a list of the major garage door brands and the step-by-step guides to program yours. This is by no means an exhaustive list of all the brands out there, but many of them are related to each other and tend to work the same, If you don’t know how to program garage doors, just browse for the description that best fits yours and check the steps you must follow.
Chamberlain Liftmaster Garage Door Openers
- Press and release the “smart” button on garage door opener motor unit. You’ll notice the indicator light glow steadily for 30 seconds. If your model doesn’t have the lights, then enter a 4-digit PIN instead on the keypad, and then press and hold the ENTER button.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the button on the hand-held remote.
- Release the button when the motor unit light blinks, meaning that is has learned the code. If there are no light bulbs, you’ll hear two clicks instead.
- Press the Receiver Learn Code button on the power head receiver of your door operator until a radio signal indicator light starts blinking red for 30 seconds.
- After this, press your transmitter button three times for your system to code the frequency.
- Press the transmitter button one last time to check if the system is working.
Remote Transmitters with Internal Set Switches
These ones work by matching the settings on the internal code setting switches with the same ones in the receiver on the garage ceiling. You can find the receiver either behind the light lens of the garage door opener motor head, or inside an external small rectangular box on the ceiling.
Universal Home Remote (Uhr)
If your remote has 3 LED lights, one above each button, do the following:
- Press the outer two (UHR) buttons simultaneously and release.
- Place the garage door opener into “learn” mode by pressing the small square button (or small round black button) behind the light bulb globe. The LED on the garage door opener will turn on/blink right away.
- Press and hold the button on the remote that you want to use to activate the garage door. The garage door should respond.
- When the garage door activates, release the button and depress it again to lock in the program. Afterwards, you’re done.
Can You Reprogram a Garage Door Remote?
You can reprogram a remote, but it depends on the brand. Although we just described the major and most common brands, it’s better that you visit the manufacturer’s website to find instructions for your remote.
How do I Program my Overhead Garage Door Remote?
Most remotes have a LEARN button, not always going by that name, though. Press and release it until its light glows steadily for 30 seconds. After this period, press and hold the button on the remote and release it when the overhead opener unit’s lights blink.
In order to fully understand how to program garage doors, you need to know your door’s brand first. As we said, this list is by no means an extensive catalog of all garage doors available out there. If you need help programming your garage door opener, or simply in need of some garage door repairs, our team here at Metro Garage Door are ready to help answer any questions you may have.
Request Service Today
We’ll fix your garage door problem fast! Call us before 1:00 PM and we’ll send an expert technician to fix your door on the same day. Call during our regular or extended service hours to talk to a customer service representative.
South Metro: (952) 960-9411 | East Metro: (651) 967-7373
North Metro: (763) 219-4326 | West Metro: (612) 276-3891
Top Rated Garage Door Company in the Twin Cities Metro Area
Super Service Award Winner
No other Garage Door company in the area has been awarded the Super Service Award every single year running. Hundreds of satisfied homeowners and commercial property owners just like you continue to recognize Metro’s exemplary services, via positive reviews, earning Metro the Angie’s List Super Service Award for 16 years.
A+ Accredited Business
Over 280 Verified Customer Reviews
What People Are Saying About Metro Garage Doors
I had a new garage door installed. My initial garage door had a weird problem -- it opened by itself! Our technician came out and was just fantastic. He replaced the opener (the maker of the opener, for instance, tried to send me a part that I could replace on a week-old opener). They fully replaced the opener and the wire and it works great. And Randy was exceedingly professional and helped me understand everything. Great service.
Metro Garage Door Showroom
8175 Lewis Road
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55427
Mon – Fri: 7:30 am to 4:30 pm Saturday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Emergency Service Available
(Emergency Services Available During Normal Business Hours)
Mon – Fri: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm And by Appointment